Gluten-free dinner ideas: Veggie Loaf or Crockpot Curried Dal
Lately, I have been feeling ho-hum about cooking. While combing through cookbooks and food blogs for inspiration, I stumbled upon this Vegetarian Garden Loaf with Maple Apricot Glaze from Karina (the gluten-free goddess, herself). It offers a sweet and spicy burst of flavor, with just the right amount of kick to make my mouth happy. The leftovers were fantastic and I am planning on doubling the recipe next time.
Another flavorful recipe that is amazingly easy to make is my (almost) famous Crockpot Curried Dal. I say “famous” because I tell almost every single person I talk to about this recipe. I make it weekly and it is perfect for evenings I am working. I can make it in the morning, go to work, and know that dinner will be ready when I come home. Dinner crisis averted!
My recipe is always improv, depending on what’s in the refrigerator, but here is the basic idea:
Sautee 1-2 onions and 3-4 cloves garlic, then add 2-3 Tbs of curry powder (depends on how spicy you like it). Put the onion, garlic, and curry mixture in a crockpot with the following:
- any other vegs you want (my favorites are: kale, peas, cauliflower, diced ginger)
- 1 can coconut milk
- equivalent to 1 can diced tomatoes, but I prefer fresh
- about 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- salt, to taste (a little now, then taste and add a little after it’s cooked a few hours)
- water or stock, depending on how thick or thin you like your dal…I probably add 1.5 cups
- optional: 1 cup chickpeas
Cook in crockpot for 4-6 hours on high, or 6-8 hours on low.
Serve over brown rice.
What are your favorite gluten-free recipes? Do you have any crockpot favorites? I’d love to hear about them:)